Today’s verse & prayer
Ephesians 4: 29
Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
Imagine a world in which everyone you met was encouraging you, and giving you good advice. Where criticism was always constructive and loving. Where people would build you up with their words, and when someone asks you “How are you doing?” they said it from the heart? What if each person’s goal was to be appropriate, encouraging, and uplifting to others based on the needs of that other person? Can you imagine this world?
James 3:2 says,
“If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well.”
If we were to consider the needs of the person in front of us, before speaking, how would this change the conversation? How would you build up your friends and neighbors, if you focused on words that build them up and benefit them.
While we may never achieve perfect control over our tongues, I’m convinced that if husbands and wives would consistently apply Ephesians 4:29, we would rarely see divorce. If parents practiced this verse toward their children, we would see few children rebel against their parents. If we applied it towards one another in the church, we would see few churches split over personality conflicts or minor doctrinal issues. In short, Ephesians 4:29 is a verse that would bring radical change in all of our relationships if we would apply it conscientiously.
Today I encourage you to pray:
Creator God, give me a heart that is pure so that my words may be pure. Give me a heart that is kind, so that my words may be kind. Give me a heart that is full of joy and encouragement for each person along my path. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.
THIS SUNDAY AT BALBOA UNION CHURCH
Worship Service at 10 a.m. – ALL ARE WELCOME!
SPEAKER: Rev. Roland Schnell
Sunday School Teachers: Mitzy Schnell, Shery & helpers
|First Testament Readings and Psalm||Ruth 1:1-18; Psalm 146|
|Epistle Reading||Hebrews 9:11-14|
|Gospel Reading||Mark 12:28-34|
Please Pray for Our Brothers and Sisters from Siria and Iraq
Lord, please remind the world that we are all brothers and sisters and there should be no violence among us, only love and attempts to understand one another.
Potluck last Sunday, October 25 , 2015
Thank you to everyone who brought a plate to share at our potluck lunch on Sunday! We hope you all enjoyed the fellowship and debate with Pastor Shepler. We had a wonderful visit with him and his wife.
Up-coming BUC Activities
- Council meeting- Saturday-November 14th 1:00 pm BUC Office. This will be a meeting of Missions, Property &Management, Christian Education, Worship & Ministry, Membership committee chairs and other council members. But all members of the congregation may sit in on the meetings and deliberations. If you have any issues you would like the council to consider, these should be present to the Council Secretary before the meeting, so that they can be included in the agenda.
- Visit to Fundación Nueva Vida – We have programmed our next visit for the 3rd Sunday of November, which is the 15th of November. We would love for you to join us!
- Missions AAAm Program – All BUC Membrs and Friends are invited to Participate in our next month AAAM Program on Tuesday November 17th , 1:00 pm
- Thanksgiving Service and Pot-Luck Lunch – Sunday November 22nd, please come and join us. Bring your favorite thanksgiving plate!
- We are currently working on sprucing up Building 773 – the basement, apartment C and other common areas. We would be happy to have any volunteers that can assist with this, and any donations towards this work would always be appreciated.
- In BUC Missions we are Collaborating with “Good Deeds ” Program: Here is more information regarding the Good Deeds Program. And here is some information regarding their activities, if you want to participate and volunteer more actively.
Other community invitations:
Book Reading Invitation from our neighbor Jairo Pertuz-Suarez
Jairo Pertuz-Suarez is a renown reporter in Panama, who is now retired and lives in the Balboa community. He has invited members of Balboa Union Church, as part of the community, to attend his book launch on November 11th. This will be at Paitilla Inn, and all are welcome.
The event and the book are in Spanish, but he would be thrilled to have the support of members and friends of the Church for this special event.
Thanksgiving Invitation from Our Friends of AVACA
AVACA, the Asociation of friends and neighbours in Casco Viejo invites us to join them for their Thanksgiving celebrations on Thursday, the 26th of November (Thanksgiving day). They are holding a potluck, and ask everyone to bring starters, salads, side dishes and desert – or make a donation (if you don’t have time to cook).
They have organised a Kid’s Corner, so it is meant to be a family evening.
For more information regarding AVACA.
We had a request from Fundación Nueva Vida for music and Christmas Carols at the home, any time during the month of December. If anyone is interested in organising one or more events there, please contact Leslie in the office, so that we can coordinate this. Thank you!